Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen

plusplus

106 Beiträge

Delphi 2009 Architect

AW: Delphi 2011 heißt jetzt Delphi XE

Alt 22. Aug 2010, 06:20
read this: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-says-gartner/

why do you think embarcadero has a roadmap for x64 2012 - 2013, and I event think later. I have seen the x64 compiler and I bet you have too, remember just before D2010 came out there was this intro video from David I, where here goes to a room and introduces the developer who than zooms in to his screen and shows some Gesture features of D2010, look at that video there you will see that the project is Project64.exe.

I think they have it already but it is a low priority because businesses will not upgrade for x64, they will upgrade for all that other crap we think is unimportant.

The marketing team decides on the priority of products to be released. You can have x64 compiler but what is it worth when you can not sell it yet. The demand is not driven by developers, it is driven by corporations who have big money licenses and a lot of legacy systems. When you go to your big customer and say: hey upgrade I have x64, he will say I can't use it, so I don't need it, but when you go to your big customer and say: hey upgrade I have this cool new feature, he will say yes.

It makes perfectly sense to me, to be honest, its way to early for producing large scale x64 apps. Remember 16/32bit, that went on like for almost 10 years.

@cookie22
Yes, I would absolutely start a new large scale project in Delphi, I am a consultant and I am always in touch with large corporations, BP for example still uses WinXP and plans to use it until Microsoft stops supporting SP3 updates in 2014, and thats just one, there are many large corporation who think the same. x64 is just a feature currently and not a necessity in the corporate world. The fact that Microsoft and Hardware vendors already marketing x64 to the much smaller consumption market does not speed up x64.

@silver-moon-2000
I hear you loud and clear and agree with you, please don't hang up on Delphi. Students are one of the main reasons I came up with a business model that makes Delphi++ a freeware and I will stick to this model because it is important that freshmen have access to it.

Sorry, I had to write this in English
Grid Computing made simple - http://xerocoder.com

Geändert von plusplus (22. Aug 2010 um 07:18 Uhr)
  Mit Zitat antworten Zitat