Einzelnen Beitrag anzeigen

hsg

354 Beiträge

Delphi 10.3 Rio

Re: advantage db

Alt 29. Jan 2007, 14:18
Zitat von chukalv:
Hello!

I`m now starting to understand database structures and how they`re working. As i understood, the Advantage database's are one of the good. I'm looking forward to make a local db, for huge entries (70 000 and up). It's for a lexicon.
Right now there's a mysql+php version already ready, but my goal is to make an local version. To understand I was exploring an already ready project. I think I understood how the delphi is communicating with the db files (local db), but
there are some questions:
- for what is the *.adt file and for what is the *.adi file? Do I have to include both of them into my project?
- how to make an Advantage table (the adt and adi files) from a sql code? Do I have to use delphi or are there any other tools?
- how much space would the advantage local db file take, that includes 70 000 entries?
- what exactly is not free in the Advantage db system? I'v downloaded the TDataSet and as it seems, it works and reads the db files for free.
- are there any other better solutions or example how to manage and create a local lexicon?

Thanks in advance!
I try to answer some of your questions, sorry my english is not the best (feel free to correct me):
1) adt-files are a special table format from advantage similar to .dbf (old dbase-format), .adi are the index-files

2) download the adac or tdatadescands from advantage (adac if your delphi-version is above delphi8) and install it, so you have native access to the table, use a TADSConnection for the connection to the databases and a TADSQuery for your sql-stateman. If you don't want to play with delphi directly, you can use the advantage database architect (arc32), with this tool you can create new databases and connections to dictionarys (a set of tables), also it offers a grid to show the data inside and a sql-tool to build your queries.

3) the size of the whole database is depends on the fieldsize.

4) the local database-system is free, if you need a client-server solution then you must by a server with more capabilities (transactions for example)

hth
Jörg
  Mit Zitat antworten Zitat